Protecting Your Home During the Colder Months
The cold winter weather can cause many issues to your home, including: frozen pipes and keeping your house warm. It is important to take these preventative measures to keep your home safe!
Preventing Frozen Pipes:
- Disconnect garden houses.
- Cover outside faucets.
- Turn off and drain sprinkler systems.
- Winterize your pipes (especially those in unheated areas).
- Close garage doors.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks.
- Check on pipes leading to washing machine.
Keeping Your House Warm:
- Have your furnace inspected.
- Inspect fireplaces and chimneys before they are used.
- Keep drapes and blinds closed.
- Install storm windows or install plastic window insulation kits.
- Repair and replace weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Make sure your fuel tank is full.
We would also like to remind you to protect yourself during this season. This includes:
- Keeping a stock of warm blankets.
- Having enough warm clothes.
- Making sure you have a supply of food and water to sustain your family for a few days.
- Making sure you have a plan for your family in case of an emergency.