Propane Pool Heater Efficiency: 5 Tips
With many of us staycationing this summer, our outdoor space can become a great remedy for cabin fever – especially if that outdoor space contains a pool.
The problem here in Massachusetts is that we are often faced with cool mornings and evenings (and sometimes cool days), even in the height of summer. For that reason, many of us turn to a propane pool heater to make swimming tolerable – but without some sensible interventions, heating a pool can get quite expensive over the course of several months.
How do you reduce the costs to heat your pool?
Five suggestions for pool heater efficiency:
- Cover your pool at night. About 75 percent of your pool’s heat loss comes at the surface, so cover your pool when it’s not in use. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), covering your pool will also reduce the need for fill-in water by 30 to 50 percent and reduce chemical use by 35-60 percent – two more reasons to cover that pool.
- Turn off your heater during long periods of non-use. If you don’t plan to use the pool for several days or more, cover it and drop the thermostat to 70 degrees; turn it back on a half a day or so before you want to use the pool again. For longer periods on non-use, shut your pool heater off altogether.
- Keep moderate water temperatures. For an average-sized pool in Massachusetts, the difference between keeping your pool water at 78 vs. 82 degrees will translate to more than $1000 in energy bills over the course of a summer.
- Block the wind. A steady wind speeds heat loss in your pool; consider installing a low poolside fence or hedge to ease the breeze.
- Get maintenance for your pool heater. An annual pool heater tune-up will usually pay for itself in efficiency improvements alone while also extending the life of your equipment and reducing the need for repairs.
Need a propane tank to accommodate a new or re-sized propane pool heater, or any other new propane appliances inside or outside of your home? FSi can help. Contact us today to learn more about propane tank installations in western MA!