Preventing plumbing emergencies this holiday season
We see it every year: someone’s well-intentioned kitchen helper accidently pours grease from that delicious holiday roast down the drain – and 24 hours later, you’re stuck with a sink full of dirty dishwater that just won’t go down.
The holidays are famous for plumbing disasters – whether they happen in the sink, the garbage disposal, or even the underused guest bathroom. The good news is that if you do have a plumbing emergency during the holidays, our master plumbers are on-hand to get the problem taken care of quickly.
Of course, the best way to deal with a plumbing problem in your Western Massachusetts home is to avoid it in the first place. Here are some ways to do that:
- Pour any excess grease from turkey or roast pans into a disposable container and let it congeal; then discard the container in the trash. If that’s not possible, clean up oil and grease with paper towels and discard them.
- Be careful about what you put in your garbage disposal; avoid putting in the following items:
- Celery, pumpkin or potato flesh, or other fibrous foods
- Coffee grounds
- Egg shells
- Fruit pits
- Always use enough water in your garbage disposal, and let it run at least 20-30 seconds to take care of stubborn trash.
- Remind guests that a toilet is not a garbage pail – TP only!
- If you have any plumbing issues, take care of them before the company arrives.
Avoid Thanksgiving plumbing disasters – if you have a plumbing problem, take care of it before you have a houseful of people. Contact the plumbing experts at FSi today to schedule a plumbing appointment.