How To Avoid A Holiday Plumbing Emergency
It may be a lower-key holiday season than usual this year, but many of us will still gather with family for dinners in the coming weeks – and those dinners present “perfect storm” conditions for plumbing emergencies.
If you want to avoid a holiday plumbing disaster, here are some tips.
Plumbing Care In The Kitchen
- Avoid pouring cooking fat and oil down the drain; liquid fats can solidify in the pipes. Instead, pour pan grease into cups and let it harden before discarding in the garbage.
- Avoid putting fibrous waste into the garbage disposer (including poultry skins, carrots, celery, pumpkin pulp, coffee grounds, pasta, or banana peels).
- Run cold water down the drain for about 15 seconds before and after using the garbage disposer to flush waste down the main line (Tip: Run ice through you garbage disposal occasionally to keep the blades sharp). Always turn on the disposer before adding food debris.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine at night or at off times to conserve hot water and keep adequate water pressure for your guests.
Plumbing Care In The Bathroom
- Try to spread out showers throughout the day; if you have guests, ask them to wait 10-15 minutes between showers rather than taking one right after another.
- Remind guests to never flush anything besides toilet paper down your toilet (no cotton balls, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, etc.)
- If you have any issues with your home plumbing system, contact us before company arrives – we will take care of it!
Need emergency plumbing service in western MA – or want to avoid plumbing emergencies by taking care of plumbing repairs ahead of time? We can help. Contact FSi today to schedule plumbing service in Greater Springfield, MA.