AC Not Working Correctly? Troubleshoot Before Calling for Service
The summer heat is here – is your cooling system up for the challenge?
If your central air conditioner doesn’t work – or doesn’t work the way it should – don’t worry: FSi will be there for you. But before you contact us for AC service, it pays to do a little troubleshooting first: sometimes you can handle the problem yourself without paying for a service call.
A few things to check before requesting AC repair
If your AC system doesn’t start at all:
- Ensure that your thermostat is:
- Set for “air conditioning,” or “cool,” and;
- Set for at least 5 degrees cooler than your current room temperature.
- Make sure your circuit breakers haven’t been tripped.
- A circuit breaker shuts off (“trips”) to prevent circuit overload, which can cause a fire. Reset the breaker and try the system again.
- Make sure all power switches that affect the air conditioner are turned on.
- Find any switches inside and outside your home that might affect your A/C’s operation; make sure they’re in the “on” position.
If these three measures don’t work, contact us for service.
If your AC system turns on but doesn’t blow cool air:
- Make sure your thermostat is properly set (see #1 above)
- Make sure your vents aren’t blocked by furniture, curtains, etc.
- Check your outdoor unit (the condenser) to see if the fan is running. If it isn’t:
- Check for a power switch (see #3 above).
- Check circuit breakers (see #2 above).
- Check for debris inside the condenser (TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST!).
- Check the indoor unit.
- Make sure all power switches are on (see #3 above)
- Check your air filters; if they’re clogged, clean or replace them according to manufacturer’s instructions, then try the air conditioner again.
If none of these measures work, contact FSi for an air conditioning repair.
Don’t worry – If your AC doesn’t work, FSi’s emergency technicians will be ready with a truck full of parts ready to take on any cooling system. And if it’s time to replace your AC with a new, high-efficiency unit, we’ve can help you there, too, with expert air conditioner service and air conditioner installations in Greater Springfield, MA!